Sunday, June 7, 2015

Left wing main skins on, bottom match-drilled, leading edge cradle built

I had some expert help today removing the blue vinyl from the inside of the leading edge skins:

Next I put down the sheet metal tools briefly and built the plywood-and-2x4 cradle to assemble the wing leading edge assemblies. First I traced a W-709 rib on 3/4" plywood,
Then I cut out the first rectangle, traced the rectangle on additional plywood, and clamped the 2 blanks together.
Then a couple quick turns of the jigsaw, and voila!
I modified this slightly from Vans' prints, but the jig sits outside the rivet lines and seems a bit sturdier than what's recommended.
Next I cut two 1.25" strips of carpet to cushion the jig; one
And two
And two screws later on the outside of the jig, and we have a cradle!
And here it is...cradling. Excellent.
With the woodworking out of the way, I finished match-drilling the bottom of the right wing, and traced intersecting lines to locate the tie-down bracket on the right wing.
I also got the left wing skins clecoed on (man, do I need more 3/32" clecos!)
And after match-drilling the left wing bottom skins, I traced intersection lines for the tie-down bracket there, as well.
With the match-drilling of the bottom skins complete, I removed them to free up clecos & allow me to break down the spar crate, making more room to work around the wings.
 Another productive day! I need to finish up match-drilling the top of the left wing, then I'll be able to scrounge some clecos to assemble & drill the leading edges. All of a sudden it seems like we're flying along... I wonder what I'm forgetting?
 
Wings: 4 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment