Saturday, February 8, 2014

Riveted Horizontal Stabilizer Rear Spar, Match-Drilled Vertical Stabilizer

Had a little touch-up priming to do this morning, and before long we were ready to squeeze rivets and make these parts look like something!
 First rivets in the spar! Squeezer works great, very consistent shop head formation. Not perfect, but not bad for a rookie.
 Riveting went fast with my expert rivet-placement crew.

 Voila! All rivets in. Only a few...tens of...thousands to go.

 The hinge brackets went on fine, the center bracket is installed but bolts not torqued - need to buy/borrow a torque wrench to complete that step.
 I ran into a roadblock; next step would have me riveting HS-710/714 to HS-702, the forward spars...one of which is the part I screwed up. Per Vans/UPS, replacement should be here Tuesday and I can wrap up the HS then.
I moved on to match-drilling all VS ribs, then clecoing on & match-drilling the skin.

It was a great day in the shop; these big pieces sure look impressive when they come together.


Empennage: 6 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment