Sunday, May 17, 2015

Right wing rear spar riveted on!

Short session but big progress yesterday - first we drove the last four rivets in the right wing main ribs and spar.
I didn't want to attempt drilling out the 2 ugly rivets from last session because I was pretty sure I would end up with a huge and misshapen hole.
 I called Van's this week just to be sure that adding 2 rivets at this location (2nd main rib from the outboard edge) wouldn't cause unforeseen problems.
They said I was probably ok just leaving the 2 smeared rivets since they likely had 90% design strength, but as long as I had adequate edge distance adding 2 rivets was fine.
 My father-in-law Don Holley helped me drive these after I drilled & deburred the holes.
Don & I designed and built an oak dining room table in his garage a couple years ago, so it was time to move the party to my garage.
 Next we clecoed on the right rear spar and started setting rivets. We could reach all of these with the squeezer which made the process smooth & fast.
 Don & I took turns placing rivets & squeezing - and making sure we were using the right rivets.
 Natalie had to get in on the action for a bit, too.
 Finished!
 It's great to see the biggest finished piece yet - now I need to find a place to put it to do it all over again on the other wing...

 I started attaching the support brackets to the wing stand; these things are going to need some filing to knock down the sharp corners, and I'm thinking about sticking some tennis balls on the end to protect passers-by.
It was a great afternoon in the shop! Fun to work with Don again, and I'm looking forward to skinning these wings.
 
Wings: 2 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment