Sunday, March 15, 2015

Tiedown brackets tapped, primed

I bought a tap set on Amazon.com that turned out to be cheaper than any of the local options (including Lowes selling the exact same set). Never used one of these before, so I was a bit nervous, but it turned out to be fairly straightforward.
I clamped each tiedown bracket in my bench vise after match-drilling the rivet holes for the nutplates. Then it was just a matter of applying plenty of drilling lube and taking it slow & steady, fully backing out the tap several times to clean off the chips. I'm sure it helped that Van's had pre-reamed the brackets to the right dimensions.
And voila! Threaded receiver where one didn't exist. Too cool.
Right started
And complete!
I finish deburred, scuffed & washed the tiedowns and spacers.
Primed the mating surfaces, and will do the rest once the assembly is complete.
I started countersinking the wing rear spar doubler plates while the primer was drying, and for some reason the hand drill blew through the 5th hole I was working on. The frustrating part is I don't know why it happened; the only thing I can think of is that the hammer drill engaged, but why that would override the countersink cage stop I don't know. Grr. Replacement ordered.
 That was a good place to stop for the night. Riveting tomorrow! (Comedy tonight?)
 
Wings: 3 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment