Monday, March 23, 2015

Right main spar deburred, right skeleton match-drilled

 I test-fit the tiedown brackets to make sure everything lined up.
This let me get to know my new torque wrench, although it started a bit rocky. The "click" was more subtle than on the wrench I had borrowed from a co-worker, resulting in me overtightening a couple of bolts and cross-threading one of the nutplates.
With no way to back out the bolt, I had to use a cutoff wheel in my Dremel to cut the bolt flush with the nutplate, and then cut the nutplate down as seen below.
Fortunately I didn't damage the spar or tiedown bracket, however I followed that masterpiece up by breaking two of my pin punches trying to remove the rivets. S$F!@#
I replaced the nutplates, came to terms with my wrench & got the right tideown bracket fully attached. Finally. The left is waiting on replacement bolts that I ordered, but is partially attached.
An a more upbeat note, I got all main & leading edge ribs match-drilled to both spars on the right wing!
 And the mandatory peekaboo shot...
Front
I got all the parts disassembled, the right main spar deburred, and the girls helped me remove the blue vinyl from the rear spar to ready it for deburring & priming.
Sometimes I feel like this blog is just a chronicle of my mistakes, but I have to admit it was satisfying to take the ribs off the spars for the last time.
 
Wings: 4.5 hrs


No comments:

Post a Comment