Sunday, February 8, 2015

Rear spar match-drilled, disassembled

I woke up before 0500 and could go back to sleep soooo I decided to watch some Top Gear and flute ribs. Not a bad start to the day.
After lunch I hit the shop and got to work with the large-tooth vixen file and a medium flat file to finish shaping the inboard rear spar doubler plates.
After:
After that the outer edges got a spin on the scotchbrite wheel, while I fought with the inner vee edges between the drill-mounted mini wheel, a drum sander in my dremel, and finally just scotchbriting by hand.
I lined up the aileron bracket attach doublers and match drilled both to each spar; left outboard:
Left center showing dimension line:
Right outboard:
Right center:
Right drilled:
I match-drilled the inboard spar doublers as well to #30, and drilled the upper flange to #40 to make dimpling easier while the doublers don't interfere. Right in process:
Left complete:
 
All match-drilled parts ready for countersinking & hole deburring!
I didn't expect the rear spars to come together as quickly as they have. It's exciting to think that we're just a couple hours away from riveting the rear spar together and clamping on the ribs for the first time - that will be the first time the wings look like something more than a pile of parts.
I'm thankful we started deburring the wing ribs early to break up the monotony; not quite finished yet, but only 2 main ribs to go and then on to nose ribs.
 
 
Wings: 5.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment