Saturday, February 7, 2015

Main spar platenuts complete, rear spar prep

I had some expert help once again placing rivets to secure the wing inspection plate platenuts on the main spar.

Main spar flange platenuts complete! Say that five times fast.

We also countersunk and riveted the K1000-4 platenuts at the inboard end of both spars.

I measured & marked the tiedown spacer brackets, opting to cut them to length prior to drilling the center holes. I ran out after lunch to get a new hacksaw blade which helped matters considerably, only to realize a few minutes later I'd forgotten to pick up the hole saw I needed for the 1" center holes.

The AEX tiedowns themselves were already cut to dimension, with one of the two needing only a 1/32" shave with a file.
Next up I marked the dimensions to trim the inboard ends of the rear spar doubler plates & cut them by hand.

I touched up a few spots on the rear spars that needed a bit more deburring, and took the aileron bracket attach doublers to the deburring wheel.

It was a good long stretch in the shop, and I was surprised on the video to see how much of it Nat was out there with me - she placed rivets, removed clecos, learned how to use the hacksaw to trim the doubler plates, and even volunteered to vacuum the shop! Not bad for a few months shy of 6 years old.
 
  
Wings: 5 hrs

1 comment: