Monday, September 1, 2014

Rudder counterweight installed, elevator stiffeners dimpled, skins prepped

We got a few hours in the shop over Labor Day, where Erin found a few new favorite tasks.
 
First up: dimpling! She dimpled all of the elevator skin stiffeners and E-615 plate.
Meanwhile I continued edge finishing the stiffeners with files, scotchbrite pads & the scotchbright wheel on the grinder.
 
I took a break to re-dimple the rudder counterbalance rib to #10 with the new dies. I found the rivet gun attachment plus a simple block drilled to hold the female die worked very well.

With the holes dimpled properly, the counterweight fit nicely.
 And the underside:
 Erin was a machine - and had a few sore muscles for her efforts. But at least all the stiffeners were ready for priming!
Her next new skill was marking the rivet lines in the blue vinyl with the wood burning tool so we could remove the strips and deburr holes while protecting most of the surface.
 2 skins ready for deburring!
I began assembly of the elevator substructure, which stalled almost as soon as it started when I realized that the 2 nutplates for the pivot bearings I "borrowed" when building the rudder weren't availalble for me to steal from the wing kit... so I ordered a couple from Aircraft Spruce.
 
Despite what it looked like in the pictures, I was actually working too...I swear...
 Ok, and doing a lot of this:
 
Empennage: 4 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment