Saturday, June 7, 2014

SB 14-01-31 Rib Flange Angles

After buying a couple 1" C-clamps from the local hardware store I proceeded with fitting and drilling the new rib flange angles as part of SB-14-01-31.
 The right side flange fit well, holes carefully match-drilled using my dremel dentist's drill extension.
Next I removed the rib & flange from the HS and match-drilled the assembly holes to #30.
Upon drilling the left side I ran into a snag. Due to the front spar bend location, the left side doubler plate was riveted close to the existing HS-404 to HS-405 rivet holes. This interfered with the new rib flange angle.
 After considering a few solutions, I discovered that if I moved the flange to the inboard side of the rib I could gain sufficient clearance and maintain edge distance on most of the holes. However the edge distance from the center 2 holes attaching main rib to nose rib are less than 2D (2x diameter) from the bend of the rib flange. I decided to call Van's and see if this is an acceptable fix. As far as I can tell the alternatives all involve replacing an awful lot of aluminum...

Empennage: 4 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment