Sunday, October 13, 2013

Tools

After reviewing a dizzying amount of tool options, prices & retailers, I opted to purchase tools individually rather than as a kit. I have several of the standard tools, and am hoping to find some good deals on inidividual tools as I need them.

A couple of the upgrades I chose to make include the DRDT2 and the Main Squeeze rivet squeezer through Cleaveland Aircraft Tool. The DRDT2 works extremely well, and I can see why it is so popular despite being priced at twice the cost of a comparable C-frame. The Main Squeeze is very accurate and comfortable to use, but still requires a fair bit of pressure - having never squeezed a rivet before, I have no reference for a classic style rivet squeezer.

My goal is to hand-squeeze as many of the rivets as I can reach, though I did purchase a 3x rivet gun set from Avery Tools (among others). Trolling the forums suggests this will get old quickly once I get to the wings, but I'm enjoying the novelty and any chance to not spent another chunk of cash (e.g. on a pneumatic squeezer) will surely help acceptance of the project with my better half.

A couple of other places I'm attempting to scrimp: I have several construction-grade cordless drills, so I am going to rely on these for now, one fitted with drill bits and the other with a deburring bit. See above for why I'm avoiding a pneumatic drill. My air compressor is woefully undersized at 2.5 gal, but after spending a large amount on tools thus far, I'm watching for prices on 26-60gal compressors to drop below $400, either for the holidays or on Craigslist. I won't be skinning many pieces before Jan-Feb anyhow.

The service has been exceptional from both Avery and Cleaveland, and while I haven't yet had the pleasure of ordering from the other tool suppliers, they seem to reinforce the terrific sense of community that seems so natural among the homebuilding set.

No comments:

Post a Comment